Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Surreal

After most of the morning rush is done and over with I open our laptop to check the news. What I am reading and seeing is horrific, sad and surreal.

Jonathan climbs into my lap while I am watching a news video. He sees the waves and the boats swirling around like bath toys caught in the swirl of the drain.
"That's so cool." He comments, his tender age doesn't allow for such horror to seep into his beautiful unhindered mind.

I envied him. For two whole minutes, I envied him. I wanted to be sitting on my mothers lap, not understanding what is happening in another part of the world. I want to believe in fairies and pixie dust again. And believe that it is Jack Frost who leaves alluring creations upon the windows on frigid winter mornings. I want to believe that I will always be safe and secure as long as there are arms reaching out for me, to protect me from the evils of the world. I want to believe that good always trumps evil.

But I am not  four years and old oblivious to the world, I am not sitting in my mothers lap and it is I who holds out my arms to protect my children from the evils of the world.

I am a thirty year old mom, with enough access to information to be able to make a difference. With shoulders that can carry a burden for someone whose burden may just be a bit too heavy for them. With enough knowledge to know that sometimes good doesn't trump evil but with enough faith to know that somewhere in place there is a plan bigger that I cannot begin to understand.

3 comments:

Patty said...

I'm in the exact same place as you; not understand the "why" of this worsening tragedy but having to accept that greater plan, as you stated.

One feels so helpless in offering the usual thoughts and prayers but, from a distance, that's all any of us can do, for the moment.

And, of course, trust, in Him...

Unknown said...

I agree. We were once like a four-year olds, we think the world is so secure that when we grow old we will not be able to have problems that breaks us. but then I realized that we need to learn the good side of life first, before we go out to the real world to realized that everything is a risk. it is that crucial years of our existence that we learn security, love, and generosity, that will mold us into a person of character.
lets handle our kids well for the moment that they are ours.
i'll be following your great blog. we can learn from each other.

Shah Wharton said...

Around every corner something lurks. Good or bad. We must be prepared but not scared however. Otherwise miss miss out on life. Shah .x