Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pink--It was love at first sight

You know those moments that make you stop, halt any thought going through your mind, and your entire focus goes to what's happening. Those moments that make you either tear up, break down or laugh out loud. As we are driving through Nova Scotia today on our way to New Brunswick something catches my eye on the other side of the highway. Something beautiful, something almost surreal but something that holds so much promise. Coming from the other direction I saw pink, tons and tons of pink. You know the pink I am talking about, not 80's lipstick pink, not beautiful baby girl pink. This was "we are going to kick your ass cancer" pink. And the tears started. I looked in the rear view mirror to see if Destyni was awake, she had been sleeping for almost an hour. And as if she sensed something she raised her head. I pointed to the highway and together we watched in awe as 6 pink double-decker buses passed us. What a sight. I love seeing the autumn colors, love seeing the beautiful Rockies, or going back home to PEI and watching the sunset over the ocean but this image, this beautiful pink image just made my heart soar.

My family, not just my immediate family but my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and all spouses were affected by a loss this summer to cancer. There are many many words that float in my head when I think of the destruction that this disease leaves in its wake. But seeing those buses motoring down the highway, well it felt like someone had just slapped cancer in the face. It felt empowering.  So cancer....you may have won some fights but you are going to lose the war!!!

No comments: