Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mom, she's looking at me...

Sibling rivalry. Little fights, arguments, grasping for attention from any parent that will give it. The life of having to share. It's been said that kindergarten teaches sharing. I don't believe it. I think you learn to share as soon as you become old enough to start understanding that word. And sharing is hard, especially if it's having to learn to share your parents or siblings. I remember when my parents brought my younger sister Tasha home, and I have watched my own children adjust to sharing our attention. Even though this adjustment tends to be hard, I wouldn't change having sisters for all the attention in the world.

I have two sisters, younger and older, yep that's right...I have middle child syndrome (and both my sisters would agree to this claim) Even though they would say I suffer from the need more so than the want for attention, but that's neither here nor there! When I was younger you couldn't separate my older sister Tina and I. She was my best friend and I adored her. I still do.

 Her life is busy, she has two sons and a career that she works overtime to stay on top of. Tina is a nurse, I believe that there are some people who were born to their career. She was definitely born to be a nurse. It's more natural to her than walking. And she is an amazing nurse. I have seen her in action, taking care of our baby sister in the hospital, taking care of me in labor. I don't know what I would do without her in my life. She was by my side for two of my labors, and when I found out I was pregnant with my third I lived  away from her. I wasn't sure how I was going to get through the labor without her holding my hand, being my coach. I remember secretly praying that I would go into labor when she came to visit a few weeks before I was due. It didn't happen, but ironically enough she wouldn't have been allowed in with me. One of the things I miss most about living on PEI is spending time with my sisters. But for the times that I can't be there, eating chocolate cheesecake with Tina and laughing at previous holiday snafus, I have fond memories of big wheelers and sandboxes!!!

No comments: