Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cell Phone-- NADA Chance!!!!

Yesterday Scott, Destyni and I were sitting at the kitchen table chatting. Scott and I were enjoying tea and Destyni, out of nowhere, asks when she can have a cell phone. Scott and I look at each other...inwardly sighing. I am not exactly sure what was going through his mind but this is what was going through mine.
"Never."
"When you are 18 years old and can take responsibility of it yourself."
"When I have written proof from some huge secret government agency verifying that all the creeps and weirdos have been locked away for eternity."
 Which just really brings us full circle, right?

We told her we didn't think she was old enough. I then added (trying to be reasonable).
"Destyni, what would be the purpose of you having a cell phone? You don't talk on the phone yet to your friends, texting would be pointless. You aren't allowed on the Internet without being monitored so you couldn't do anything with a cell phone."

That's right, we monitor everything Destyni does on the Internet. Have you seen this child??


Yeah, as if she's ever allowed surfing the web alone. I watch Criminal Minds when Scott is home to protect me, when I have the time. She was three years old and Scott was already looking for some type of self defence course for her. Currently she has a blue belt one stripe in Aikido. She's been in it since she was six, the earliest she could start.
Back to the cell phone. It's not that I don't trust her, I do. It's not that I don't think she could take responsibility for a cell phone, I think she could. Unfortunately I don't trust the rest of the world. And I won't...until Destyni is licensed  to carry a gun has her black belt in Aikido.

This morning Destyni is eating breakfast at the table. Now this child is pretty transparent, you can usually tell when something is on her mind. She perks up, "Mom, I know why I can have a cell phone."

"Oh yeah Hun, why is that?"

"I can text and call you."

Damn it! Fooled, by a nine year old!

1 comment:

b. lee said...

smart, very smart little lady ;)